HOME TIME FOR HAMPEL
Friday 15th June 2012, 16:12
World No.3 Jaroslaw Hampel is set to leave hospital today to begin his recovery from surgery on a broken leg.
The Polish international suffered the injury in heat one of the FIM Dansk Metal Danish SGP in Copenhagen last Saturday after being ploughed into the fence when Kenneth Bjerre was unable to turn for the first corner.
Hampel underwent an operation in Poznan on Monday and has been discharged from hospital, although it is unclear as yet when he will return to the track.
The Lodz-born man is replaced in the FIM Gorzow SGP of Poland by Grand Prix series first reserve Martin Vaculik, who lines up in the No.19 race jacket for his World Championship debut.
It is unlikely Hampel will be ready in time for the FIM Monster Energy Speedway World Cup, which gets underway on July 7 when Poland tackle Denmark, Russia and the United States in Event One at Bydgoszcz.
His absence would come as a major blow to the defending champions, who are chasing their fourth straight gold medal in the SWC Final at Malilla on July 14. But sitting out would mean Hampel has until July 28 to get ready for the FIM Fogo Croatian SGP in Gorican.
- 24/10: HAMPEL'S FIGHTING SPIRIT
- 23/10: TROY TARGETS TOP FIVE
- 22/10: GRIN: NO.45 IS THE NEW NO.1
- 21/10: SAVE UP TO 40% ON MALILLA TICKETS
- 20/10: ELITE MAGIC FOR JANOWSKI
- 20/10: HARRIS: BEES NOT BEATEN
- 19/10: AJ AIMS FOR MEDAL IN 2015
- 19/10: MIEDZINSKI SEASON OVER
- 18/10: MAGIC: WORK TO DO FOR POOLE
- 17/10: SGP NUMBERS FOR 2015 REVEALED